Joanne Skelton, ActivOT Joondalup, completed a Bachelor of Science (Occupational Therapy) at Edith Cowan University, Perth WA, in 2014.
Before becoming an OT, Joanne worked in various settings in community welfare and community-based financial counselling.
Joanne began her OT career in community mental health and has since gained extensive experience in hospital work, across a range of settings including both public and private settings, in acute care and sub-acute rehabilitation.
Joanne has always appreciated the privilege of working alongside her colleagues in the acute hospital environment as they deal with the health challenges of their patients. She is excited to expand her practice to community work, where she can work with clients in their home environments, develop a strong therapeutic relationship with them and support them to participate in activities and relationships that are meaningful.
Her clinical experience includes:
- Orthopaedics and surgical – trauma and elective
- Cardiology, respiratory and general medical, oncology
- Aged Care – Comprehensive geriatric assessment
- Chronic and complex medical condition management
- Mental health
- Cognitive impairment
- Degenerative neurological conditions, including Parkinson’s disease and dementia.
Joanne has skills in Occupational Therapy Assessment and interventions in following areas:
- Functional assessments and therapy
- Equipment prescription
- Pressure care
- Optimising safety, independence and falls prevention.
- Home Assessment and minor home modifications
- Carer Training
- Complex and comprehensive discharge planning
What to expect from Joanne:
- Passionate about supporting and advocating for clients.
- Individualised therapy that focuses on the strengths of clients.
- Evidence-based approaches and recommendations.
- Community-based Occupational Therapy.
Outside of work, Joanne enjoys spending time with her family. She loves nature and enjoys mindful walks in the bush and the beach. She loves travel and new adventures and gets away with her husband in their caravan whenever he is home from his work overseas, to explore WA.
PO Box 1237, JOONDALUP DC WA 6919
P: 0461 355 628 | 1800 228 868
F: 08 8344 1559